Jim Harvey is a partner in Vandeventer Black’s Norfolk office with a wide range of experience in construction, surety, government contracts, land use, defective products, professional liability and business disputes. He regularly appears in state and federal court as well as various arbitration panels representing the needs of contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, owners, developers engineers, architects, insurers or sureties and their agents. Jim makes it a point to thoroughly understand his client’s business so that he can assist in the development, negotiation, and review of contracts, and when necessary, resolve any disputes in the most efficient manner possible. Many of Jim’s engagements involve projects of local, regional and even international importance, and he is able to use these experiences to help clients with every new problem.
Jim is a member of the firm’s Executive Board responsible for the governance and operations of Vandeventer Black and also serves on numerous municipal, professional and civic boards and committees. He serves as the Chair of the Norfolk Board of Zoning Appeals, is the president of the Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association as well as it’s foundation, and a past chair of the Virginia Bar Association’s Construction and Public Contracts Section. Jim is the 2004 recipient of the Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association’s prestigious Walter E. Hoffman Community Service Award. Jim’s also a past chairman of the Board of Directors for Tidewater Aquatic Club.
Jim serves as legal counsel to the Tidewater District of the Associated General Contractors of Virginia, and is active with numerous trade organizations in the construction industry.
He served on active duty as a U.S. Army Officer from 1989 to 1993 and in the Virginia National Guard from 1994-1996. Jim is a recovering Ironman triathlete who occasionally plays golf when not at work or with his family.
- Represented companies in national and international construction and financing disputes exceeding $100 million.
- Represented general contractor in recovery from specialty trade and suppliers for incomplete work and defective products.
- Represented international bridge contractor regarding complex foundation claims.
- Recovered amounts due to a diving services contractor for Post-Katrina work performed on a casino.
- Represented owners and contractors on insurance claims for defective products and work.
- Represent owners on local land use, zoning and permit issues.
- Successfully represents contractors, sureties, and claims on Miller Act and Little Miller Act Payment, and performance bond suits.
- Successfully resolved Design-Build road builder claims with Virginia Department of Transportation.
- Represented energy development companies and contractors on natural gas, ethanol, and solar facilities.