Jim is an AV® rated trial lawyer who has tried more than 200 cases to verdict in the federal and state courts in Virginia and the District of Columbia. Jim focuses on complex civil litigation, including defense of professional malpractice lawsuits against design professionals, accountants and lawyers, construction defects, business and contract disputes, product liability, toxic torts, and catastrophic injury and wrongful death matters.
Jim’s broad range of trial experience, often defending complex, high stakes litigation, allows him to assess risk and cost early, advise the client confidently in the early stages of litigation, and prosecute the case to successful resolution efficiently.
Jim has been recognized by The Best Lawyers In America® in the fields of Commercial Litigation and Litigation – Construction since 2012; and has been selected for Virginia Business’ “Legal Elite” in the area of Civil Litigation since 2009. He teaches Trial Advocacy at T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond, and is a frequent lecturer on trial tactics, civil litigation and professional liability.
- Dawson v. Clark Nexsen, et al. (Fairfax) – Defense of lawsuit against engineer and engineering firm who designed a mid-block crosswalk in which the plaintiff was struck and severely injured. Settled in mediation
- Blake v. Securitas – (District of Columbia) Defense of security company in lawsuit involving severe injuries where plaintiff fell three stories on premises guarded by the defendant. Summary Judgment
- Bosworth v. Securitas – (Fairfax) Defense of lawsuit against security firm who provided guarding services at Mall where plaintiff was abducted and later killed.
- Cuba Libre DC, LLC v. Cuhaci and Peterson Architects – (District of Columbia) Defense of lawsuit against architect for errors and omissions in design services for tenant improvements. Settled in mediation
- Landow Builders v. Bascon, Inc., et al – (Loudoun) Defense of lawsuit against architect/construction manager for errors and omission leading to collapse of Dulles Jet Center roof in a major snowstorm. Settled
- Moses, et al. v. Architecture, Inc., et al. – (Fairfax) Defense of lawsuits against Architect and others for personal injuries due to exposure to mold in a school where renovations and expansion had been design by the Architect. Settled in mediation.
- Jones v. Skanska USA Civil Southeast – (Alexandria) Defense of lawsuit against highway construction contractor where plaintiff motorist was injured when a construction sign blew into his during a high wind event. Settled.
- Williamsburg Vineyards, LLC v. Dixon Hughes Goodman – (Norfolk) Defense of accounting firm in lawsuit by client arising out of tax and indemnity implications stemming from a series of conservation easement transactions. Settled in mediation
- Hughes v. Freightliner Corp. – (Roanoke) Defense of products liability claim against tractor-trailer manufacturer following crash allegedly due to a fault suspension part. Settled port verdict in judicial settlement conference
- Faracca v. Bel-Star, Inc., et al. – (New Kent) Defense of highway construction inspection firm in lawsuit brought by motorcyclist severely injured in a construction zone. Settled in mediation
- Gannon, et al. v. Millennium Partners, et al. – (District of Columbia) Defense of a series of personal injury and property damage lawsuits brought against developer of condominium project for problems with mold. Settled in judicial settlement conference
- Doeman v. Howard University, et al. – (District of Columbia) Defense of campus police force in lawsuit brought by student raped on campus. Settled
- City of Portsmouth v. Buro Happold, et al. – (Portsmouth) Defense of architect in lawsuit brought by City for damage to amphitheater during Hurricane Isabel. Settled.
- Renze, et al. v. Valley Industries, et al. – (Virginia Beach) Defense of trailer hitch manufacturer in product liability/multiple wrongful death lawsuit where trailer detached, struck plaintiff’s car, puncture the gas tank, and caused the car to catch fire. Settled
- Slade v. Collawn, et al. (Supreme Court of Virginia) Prepare Brief in Opposition to Petition for Appeal in case involving “use” of a vehicle for purposes on uninsured motorist coverage. Appeal denied
- East v. S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. – (Maryland) Defense of product liability lawsuit against makers of Drano where plaintiff alleged a serious eye injury. Settled
- Neuroth v. Toyotomi Company – (Richmond) Defense of kerosene heater manufacturer in products liability/wrongful death lawsuit where plaintiff died as a result severe burns. Defense Verdict
- Allied Signal Corp. v. Parks – (Richmond) Defense of former Allied Signal scientist in theft of trade secrets lawsuit. Defense verdict.