Jean is a business law attorney with extensive experience in corporate and securities law, private equity and venture capital, supply chain management, software agreements, and energy sector operations. Her background as a co-founder, vice president, and general counsel of an NYSE-listed energy company, as well as serving as in-house counsel at multiple Fortune 500 corporations, gives Jean a unique, business-oriented insight when advising clients.
Jean began her career on Wall Street as a corporate and securities attorney handling IPOs and private offerings as well as regulatory compliance matters before moving to the Gulf Coast region and entering the energy sector. She is also well-versed in risk management, acquisitions and divestitures and environmental law matters. Jean’s operational legal support has included exploration and production, refinery and gas plant operations. Jean is an arbitrator on the Commercial Panel of the American Arbitration Association. She is also a Certified Professional Contracts Manager (CPCM).
Also, she has decades experience in M&A and large A&D transactions including the sale of an operating refinery to Shell Chemical, the purchase of a healthcare company, the purchase of large oil and gas assets and the sale of a prominent government contractor. Her particular areas of expertise are in the negotiation of transaction agreements and due diligence. She works closely with CPAs, investment bankers and tax attorneys to achieve the best results for her clients.
Jean is admitted to practice law in Virginia, New York, Louisiana, and the District of Columbia. She received her B.A. from Duke University and her J.D. from Vanderbilt University School of Law.
- Representation in the purchase and sale of companies in various industries, with extensive due diligence experience and post-closing operational support.
- Negotiated and closed the sale of an operating refinery to Shell Chemical.
- Established and administered contracting protocols, form agreements, and bid procedures for procurement/construction departments for publicly-traded energy companies.
- Drafted, negotiated, and enforced the construction contract for a sour gas plant.
- Software industry agreements, including licenses, non-disclosure, non-compete and consulting agreements, with a focus on warranties, intellectual property ownership, royalties, indemnity and confidentiality issues.
- Drafted and negotiated documentation for the acquisition of a healthcare services company with post-closing operational support.
- Borrower’s counsel for multiple multi-million dollar credit facilities.
- Counsel to motion picture production companies and individual film investors.