Patrick’s environmental practice involves representation of business and industrial clients in a wide range of regulatory compliance, permitting, enforcement and litigation matters, covering many environmental regulatory programs and federal and state environmental laws. This has included:
- Representation of clients in administrative enforcement and penalty assessment actions initiated by US EPA, Corps of Engineers, and state environmental agencies in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and California.
- Representation of clients in CERCLA (“Superfund”) cost recovery suits initiated by US EPA, state environmental agencies, and private plaintiffs.
- Representation of clients in litigation involving contaminated real estate.
- Negotiation of environmental agreements incident to real estate transactions for commercial and industrial properties.
- Negotiation of “Voluntary Remediation Program” agreements with Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, for remediation and reuse of contaminated industrial and commercial properties (“Brownfields”).
- Representation of responsible parties under the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, Oil Pollution Act, and Virginia Water Control Law for oil and hazardous substance spills and releases.
- Representation of clients in criminal investigations conducted by US EPA, Naval Criminal Investigative Service, the FBI, and state agencies.
- Assisted clients in application for and obtaining permits and contesting proposed permit conditions.
Patrick’s representation of construction and government contractor clients includes formation and registration of business entities including small and disadvantaged businesses; contract review, drafting and negotiation; preparation and presentation of claims; and representing clients in dispute resolution through administrative hearings, mediation, arbitration, and litigation. He has assisted construction industry contractors and engineers with formation of teaming arrangements and joint ventures for design-build and public-private ventures.
Patrick is a member of the Virginia and North Carolina bars and has represented clients across the country and throughout the southeastern U.S. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts in Virginia and North Carolina, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Patrick was formerly a naval officer, serving as both a surface line officer and a Navy JAG. His Navy assignments were varied and included assignments as the Assistant Director of Naval Intelligence for Legal Affairs, and as the Regional Environmental Counsel for the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. He has held Top Secret and special access security clearances.