Sean’s practice is focused on the areas of professional liability defense, commercial litigation and employment litigation. Sean regularly represents businesses and professionals, including architects, engineers, financial services professionals, accountants and other professional service providers. He has extensive litigation experience in both Virginia state and federal courts, as well as in multiple arbitration forums.
Sean regularly represents design professionals in the defense of professional liability claims, as well as in matters involving contracts, licensing and regulatory concerns, and intellectual property issues. Sean frequently speaks at design professional seminars on issues regarding copyrights and ownership of instruments of service, and has published articles on topics affecting the defense of architects and engineers in professional liability claims.
Mr. Golden’s practice includes a particular focus in investment and financial services matters, including representing broker dealers and investment advisors in court and in arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Sean is experienced in representing employers in a myriad of employment related matters, including the defense of wrongful discharge, Title VII, and FLSA claims. He has also successfully represented several employers before the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC). In addition to litigation matters, Sean regularly counsels businesses on employment practices, including creation of employee manuals and managing on-the-job issues faced by employers.
- Represented Virginia architecture firm at jury trial, defending against alleged design errors and omissions. Successfully argued motion to strike at the close of the plaintiff’s evidence, resulting in full dismissal with prejudice.
- Represented employer in $1,000,000 defamation and unlawful disclosure of health records claim filed by former employee, and succeeded in getting case dismissed with prejudice on the pleadings.
- Defended national wealth management firm in FINRA arbitration against claims of unsuitable investment recommendations. Prevailed on all claims by successfully arguing motions to dismiss at the close of the claimant’s evidence.
- Defended a national architecture firm in litigation involving design of ballpark in Texas, and forced voluntary dismissal of plaintiff’s claims against the architect after filing summary judgment motion.
- Represented national brokerage and wealth management firm in defense of a $900,000 customer arbitration claim involving variable annuities, and a separate $600,000 customer arbitration claim involving tenant-in-common interests. Was successful in obtaining full pre-hearing dismissals of all claims in both arbitrations.
- Represented Virginia architect in copyright infringement action which resulted in first published opinion in the Fourth Circuit clearly extending copyright protection to drawings created by architects engaged in adaptive reuse.