Last modified: July 25, 2018
Who We Are
VANDEVENTER BLACK LLP is a dynamic business and litigation law firm established in 1883. We are headquartered in the commercial gateway of Norfolk, Virginia, and have offices located in Virginia, North Carolina, and Germany.
For the purposes of data protection VANDEVENTER BLACK LLP is the data controller unless stated otherwise.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide to us when you visit the website https://www.vanblacklaw.com (“Website“) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
- offline, in person, or through any other means, or through any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- from clients/prospective clients/vendors/and employees or independent contractors outside of this Website.
The use of this Website is for information purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship or any contractual relationship, nor should it be considered as rendering legal or professional advice for any specific matter.
Our Website is not intended for use by individuals under eighteen (18) years of age. No one under age 18 may provide any information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under age 18. If you are under 18, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from an individual under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you are under 18 and believe we might have collected any information from or about you on this Website, please ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) contact us at:
Vandeventer Black LLP
101 West Main Street
500 World Trade Center
Norfolk, VA 23510
1-(757) 446-8600 (Norfolk Office)
How We May Collect Information About You
We may collect information about you when we receive it directly from you:
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and our Website;
- Through proposals you submit to the Vandeventer Black Foundation, Inc. through an email link on our Website;
- When you submit an employment application through an email link on our Website;
- When you contact us through our Website from the “Contact Us” page.
We may also collect information from you:
- Automatically, as you navigate through the Website for analytical purposes. For more information, see the “Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies” section below;
- When paying your bill or making an advance deposit online through our third-party payment processor when you access the link on our Website;
- When you register for an event through our third-party vendor for event registrations when you access the link on our Website.We may collect the following types of information from you:
The Types of Information We Collect From You
- Information by which you may be personally identified, such as your full name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information“);
- If you pay your invoice online, make an advance deposit, or register and pay for an event through the link to our third-party payment processor, LawPay, information you provide also includes your matter number, invoice number, cardholder name, authorization code, expiration date, and your credit card number. This information is sent by you directly to our third-party payment processor, however, we do have access to a portion of this information for accounting purposes.
- Company name and title/position or business affiliation when you provide it to us via the Website; and
- Records and copies of your correspondence if you contact us via the Website.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, using Google Analytics including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and Internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, device type and browser type.
Purpose and Legal Bases For How We Use Your Information
When processing your personal information, the purpose and legal bases include the following to the extent that they apply to you:
- To present our Website and its contents in the best possible way to you based on our legitimate interests to keep our Website updated and relevant and to develop our outreach, marketing, and business operations;
- To provide you with information, products, or services or information that you request from us based on your consent;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it based on your consent;
- To fulfill our contractual obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it based on our legitimate interests to develop and grow our business, improve our services, and promote the reputation of our firm;
- If we believe it is necessary or appropriate based on our legitimate interests to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our clients, or other third-parties, and to comply with any legal obligations to which we are subject.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website based on your consent and based on our legitimate interests to develop our outreach and marketing strategy;
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information with your consent.
- Where the processing of your personal information takes placed based solely on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
You may receive marketing communications from us if you are an existing client, if you register for any of Vandeventer Black events or if you provided us with your consent by contacting us through this Website or where we are pursuing a legitimate interest and have a lawful right to do so and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by us to promote our services, you can opt out by checking the relevant unsubscribe link located on the communication which we send or at any other time by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions.
Disclosing Your Information/Transfers
We may disclose aggregated information without restriction, including to third-parties for research, analytics, and marketing or other purposes, provided it does not personally identify a particular individual.
This website is hosted in the United States. Please be aware that personal information that is voluntarily provided by you when you contact us via this website will be received and maintained or accessed in servers or files located in the United States.
- To third-party service providers that provide services to us or to whom we outsource certain services;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of VANDEVENTER BLACK LLP’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by VANDEVENTER BLACK LLP about our Website users is among the assets transferred;
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request;
Retention of Your Personal Information
In general, we will retain personal information collected from the Website only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and to satisfy any legal, administrative, or professional indemnity obligations or to protect our legal interests or those of others.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information/Your Rights
Depending on the circumstances related to the personal information we collect and where you are located or reside, you may have certain rights regarding the personal information we collect about you. For example, under certain European data privacy laws and under certain conditions, you have the following rights:
- Your right of access – you may ask us to confirm whether we are processing your personal information.
- Your right to correction (rectification) – you may ask us to correct information about you that is inaccurate.
- Your right to erasure – you may ask us to delete or remove your personal information under certain circumstances, such as when we no longer need it, unless we are required to retain it in order to comply with a legal obligation or to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims.
- Your right to restrict – you may ask us to restrict or stop the processing of your personal information based on your consent and, under certain circumstances, to not be subject to a decision based on automatic processing, including profiling.
- Your right to withdraw consent – To the extent your personal information is processed based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time, although this will not affect the lawfulness of processing carried out prior to your withdrawal of consent.
- Your right to portability – under certain circumstances you may ask for a copy of your personal information in a commonly used machine- readable format.
- Your right to lodge a complaint – you have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority if you believe the processing of your personal information infringes applicable European data protection laws.
- Tracking Technologies and Advertising:
California Privacy Rights
The California Civil Code permits users of our Website who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com or write to us, proper postage prepaid at: VANDEVENTER BLACK LLP, 101 West Main Street, 500 World Trade Center, Norfolk, Virginia 23510.
We endeavor to secure your personal information retained in our systems from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. We do not control the privacy or data security practices of our third-party providers accessed via the Website. For questions about the privacy and security practices of our third-party providers, you may contact them directly.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we endeavor to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted via our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Vandeventer Black LLP
101 West Main Street
500 World Trade Center
Norfolk, VA 23510
or via our toll-free number:
1-(757) 446-8600 (Norfolk Office)